POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Organisation : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Organisation Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Organisation
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 27 Nov 2006 14:35:06
Message: <456b3dea@news.povray.org>
Chris B wrote:
> Any ideas?

For just distributing, an index of available functions, textures,
macros, etc and what they do and which specific include they are in.
Each developer could have one or more includes that contain their work,
divided how ever they like. Should a tree bark texture go in a texture
file or should it be added to the include with trees? I'd argue for
keeping textures separate from objects, but after seeing some of the
tricks in POV-Ray I'm not sure there really is such a distinction.

I think the bigger issue will be making sure that all of the includes
are usable together. Some sort of enforced use of #local in each
include, and only defining the things that are going to be used
externally if possible.

There would probably need to be some way of making sure that two
developers don't create items that have the same name as well. Some form
of unique ID might be needed. This could be anything, initials, some
developer ID number, anything that would prevent overlap.

Last thing I can think of would be some uniformity in naming. Even with
an index, it might be useful to know that ID23_My_Tree_Macro is actually
a macro and not a function. This might really creep in with objects that
can be part of CSGs and those that can't. Some form of Hungarian
notation might work*.

*I'll probably regret even joking about using that, since someone might
think it is a good idea.